Professor Chengzhong (Michael) Yu
|Professor Michael Yu|
BSc ECNU, PhD Fudan
ARC Future Fellow and Group Leader
Telephone: +61 7 3346 3283 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research: Applied functional nanomaterials
Professor Chengzhong (Michael) Yu is an internationally recognised expert in materials science. He is an Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellow.
Professor Yu has collaborations with scientists in chemistry, material science and chemical engineering from the US, Japan, Scotland, Sweden, France and China. Through these collaborations, more than 30 international journal papers have been published.
Memberships, patents and funding
Professor Yu has attracted five Discovery Projects, two Linkage Projects and two Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities grants from the ARC, and grants from from the Cancer Council Queensland; Queensland Government, Cotton Research and Development Corporation and other funding agencies. He has undertaken a number of collaborative projects with commercial partners. Before he joined AIBN in 2010, he attracted 12 grants from the National Science Foundation of China; the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology; the Chinese Education Ministry; and Shanghai Government. Professor Yu is a referee for more than 50 international journals. He is a reviewer for the ARC and NHMRC; and a grants peer review panel member for the NHMRC in 2012.
Awards and plenaries
Professor Yu is an ARC Future Fellow (2009). He is the recipient of the 2015 Le Févre Memorial Prize for Chemistry (The Australian Academy of Science), 2015 UQ Vice-Chancellor’s Research Focused Fellowship, 2009 Innovation Award of the Chemistry Academy of China; the 2009 Young Scientist Award of the Ceramic Society of China; the 2005 New Century Scientist Award from the Chinese Ministry of Education; and the 2004 Young Scientist Award from the Chemistry Academy of China. Professor Yu received the National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award in China (2004); the second prize of the National Science Award of China (2004); and the Shanghai Science & Technology Progress Award (2002). He has been invited to give more than 30 plenary, keynote and invited talks.
Key publications for the past five years
- Song H, Ahmad Nor Y, Yu MH, Yang YN, Zhang J, Zhang HW, Xu C, Mitter N, Yu CZ. (2016) Silica Nano-Pollens Enhance Adhesion for Long-Term Bacterial Inhibition. J. Am. Chem. Soc., DOI: 10.1021/jacs.6b00243.
- Zhang HW, Noonan O, Huang XD, Yang YN, Xu C, Zhou L, Yu CZ. (2016) Surfactant-Free Assembly of Mesoporous Carbon Hollow Spheres with Large Tunable Pore Sizes. ACS Nano, DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.6b00723.
- Yang YN, Stefano B, Song H, Zhang J, Yu MH, James R, Ekaterina S, Debra S, Yu CZ. (2016) Anion Assisted Synthesis of Large Pore Hollow Dendritic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles: Understanding the Composition Gradient. Chem. Mater. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b03963.
- Ahmad Nor Y, Niu YT, Karmakar S, Zhou L, Xu C, Zhang J, Zhang HW, Yu MH, Mahony D, Mitter N, Cooper M, Yu CZ. (2015) Shaping Nanoparticles with Hydrophilic Compositions and Hydrophobic Properties as Nanocarriers for Antibiotic Delivery. ACS Cent. Sci., 1, 6, 328-334.
- Zhang HW, Yu MH, Song H, Noonan O, Zhang J, Yang YN, Zhou L, Yu CZ. (2015) Self-organized Mesostructured Hollow Carbon Nanoparticles via a Surfactant-free Sequential Heterogeneous Nucleation Pathway. Chem. Mater. 27, 18, 6297-6304.
- Yang J, Zhang HW, Yu MH, Emmanuelawati I, Zou J, Yuan ZG, Yu CZ. (2014) High-content, Well-dispersed γ-Fe2O3 Nanoparticles Encapsulated in Macroporous Silica with Superior Arsenic Removal Performance. Adv. Funct. Mater. 24(10), 1354–1363.
- Zhang HW, Zhou L, Noonan O, Martin DJ, Whittaker AK, Yu CZ. (2014) Tailoring the Void Size of Iron Oxide@Carbon Yolk-Shell Structure for Optimized Lithium Storage. Adv. Funct. Mater. 24(27), 4337–4342.
- Niu YT, Yu MH, Hartono SB, Yang J, Xu HY, Zhang HW, Zhang J, Zou J, Dexter A, Gu WY, Yu CZ. (2013) Nanoparticles mimicking viral surface topography for enhanced cellular delivery. Adv Mater, 25 43: 6233-6237.
- Jarnbhrunkar S, Yu MH, Yang J, Zhang J, Shrotri A, Endo-Munoz L, Moreau J, Lu GQ, Yu CZ. (2013) Stepwise pore size reduction of ordered nanoporous silica materials at angstrom precision. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 135 23: 8444-8447.
- Huang XD, Qian K, Yang J, Zhang J, Li L, Yu CZ, Zhao DY. (2012) Functional Nanoporous Graphene Foams with Controlled Pore Sizes. Adv. Mater. 32, 4419–4423.
|Professor Chengzhong (Michael) Yu section|